FLAMES!


“Snap!” It was the only sound heard on that deserted road as I stepped on the twig fallen on the road. Paying no attention to it, I began running again.


Did I mention that I was running late for work at 10 PM in the night?

Only my erratic and unpredictable boss could keep a meeting at a time like that. And as usual, I missed the bus so I had no option but to walk.

Finally I stopped outside the entrance of a graveyard. I don’t believe in ghosts or supernatural creatures, but the thought of running through a graveyard at night still made me hesitant. I knew I had no choice as it was the only shortcut to my workplace. I took a deep breath and entered the graveyard.

The place’s eeriness was increased by the presence of branches of the trees rising like dying arms, with the full moon covered by a dark cloud like shroud. The signs of Christ seemed almost alive and there was no sound heard except heavy breathing. Just when I thought it couldn’t get scarier, “it” happened.

A high pitched, ear piercing scream of a woman.

I looked around thinking if it’s only my imagination. Turning on the flashlight, I began to jog towards where I heard the voice from. Between the cold stoned graves and the trees, I could see faint, flickering light.It’s not in my nature to not investigate so I ran towards it.

And I saw a woman burning. She was on a pyre of fire. It was almost as though all those pictures of Sati in my history books had come alive.
               
         
     

It drained all the colour from my face. That’s when I noticed two men right there, standing and talking. It was obvious that this ruthless act was done by them. I hesitated at first, then took and instantaneous decision.

I snuck behind the graves and to my luck, found a club right there. Tiptoeing silently behind them,I aimed right at the first man’s head and in seconds, he was unconscious. The second man was too taken by surprise to react and he passed out from the blow of the club too.

I ran over to the woman and took her to the hospital, and the two goons were arrested.It was an unfortunate case of honor killing. Unsatisfied husbands oppressed their poor wives in the most brutal way. However, the two men confessed and soon their whole gang was busted.


Apart from the fact that I became a national hero and was constantly interviewed by the press for days, the situation also brought to life the sad condition of women in India. It raised a very important question of their safety too.


This is one thing I will never forget. Not only because I saved an innocent life, but also because I found my unknown inner strength.


Life has always been a little better since that day.

                          - Rtr Mansi Avashia
                   Rotaract Club of NM College




The clue to the next article is :

I START WITH 'P' AND END WITH 'H'. I HAVE KILLED PEOPLE. LIKE LITERALLY. 
P _ A _ E / _ _ A _ H
WHO AM I?


Let's see how smart-witted you are to  answer this riddle and thus, guess the theme of the next article...

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?

The Mentalist

Nasty Battles #9 - Last benchers Vs first benchers