A Second Chance


“It’s of no use, Michael,” said the usual pessimistic voice of my assistant manager. “The company – it’s in losses. We have to close down.”

Alas, his words fell upon deaf ears. My body was shutting down. Starting a company at the ripe age of twenty five only to have it close down a year later was too much for my ambitious heart to take. I simply nodded at the balding man across me.

I had failed my company. I had failed my colleagues. I had failed myself. Thoughts of desperation whirled through my mind. The next few moments were a blur. Before I knew what I was doing, my legs took me to the exit of the office building and I soon found myself walking towards the Golden Gate Bridge. The chilled San Francisco wind sent shivers down my spine, but I kept walking, as if in a trance.

You’re a waste of opportunity. You don’t deserve to be a leader. All you do is mess things up.

Maybe. But maybe, if I were given a second chance, I could make things right. If only I were a better leader. If only opportunity knocked on my door one more time.

I guess life doesn’t work that way.

Eyes downcast, I walked along the stoned bridge path, suicidal ideas birthing in my head. All of a sudden, a ray of light hit a shiny object at the corner of the sidewalk and it glistened. I stopped abruptly and bent down to get a closer glance. The contraption looked to be an old fashioned clock. 


Shaking my head, I picked it up and continued on my way, idly playing with it. Subconsciously, my finger hit the alarm button. A second later, I felt a shock of electricity run through my body, rendering me unconscious.

I don’t know how long I was asleep for. When my eyes fluttered open, I found myself in a medieval dressing room. The walls were made of stone and sturdy torches hung at every corner.  My suit and trousers were replaced by robes of white fur lined with jewels. There was a strange smell in the air.

Where was I?

I felt my new clothes for pockets and found one to my right. Inside was a note which said,
Here’s your second chance. Make it count.

Before I could ponder over the note, a woman burst through the wooden door. “Master Michael, His Highness wants you on stage right this moment. The celebration is about to commence. Do hurry.” She said as she pushed me through a dimly lit hallway.

What was going on?

A dozen questions flooded through my mind but somehow, I couldn’t get myself to say anything. The note burned warm in my pocket. I knew it meant something, but, what?

The woman suddenly pushed me in front of a curtain and bright lights hit my eyes. Beside me stood an aged man dressed in similar garments, the roots of his hair graying. My eyes soon shifted from him and looked around. About a thousand eyes stared back at me.
“And now, I present to you, your new king, Michael Gray.”


- Rtr Beverly Menezes
Rotaract Club of NM College




The clue to the next article is :

STRONGER THAN STEEL,
AND OLDER THAN TIME;
THEY ARE MORE PATIENT THAN DEATH,
& SHALL STAND EVEN WHEN THE STARS HAVE CEASED TO SHINE.
THEIR STRENGTH'S EMBEDDED IN ROOTS BURIED DEEP
WHERE THE SANDS AND FROST AGES
CAN NEVER HOPE TO TOUCH OR REACH...


Let's see how smart-witted you are to  answer this riddle and thus, guess the theme of the next article... 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?

The Mentalist

Nasty Battles #9 - Last benchers Vs first benchers