THE INFINITE LOOP

                    
I woke up to find myself in a room with grey walls on all four sides, the room seemed to have no exit whatsoever… It was very poorly equipped, with just a bed, a mirror and a lavatory. I got up from the extremely uncomfortable bed and headed towards the mirror. The mirror reflected back an image of a girl who looked malnourished and had no hair on her head, just a scalp that was filled with scars. The eyes of this girl looked dull. “Is this me?” I thought to myself and ran my hand across my scalp. The scars hurt very badly and I found myself asking questions like “Who am I? What is my name?  Why am I in this place?”



At this precise moment a man entered my room. He was wearing a white suit and seemed friendly and trustworthy. The man came near me, bent down and held my hand. The warmth of his hand was comforting, almost like a hearth. The man then looked at me and said “Don’t worry, I’m here to help” . He  gave me a warm smile which made me feel as though all my unresolved questions would be solved by him. I smiled back and uttered the words “Okay”. He then instructed me to follow him.

As I walked alongside the man, I noticed that there were many rooms like mine and that the overall colour of the corridor was the same as that of my room, a morose grey. The man then led me to a room where he told me sit at a desk ,then he provided me with food.

After I finished eating, the man gave me a notebook and made me solve a lot of complex math problems but refused to answer any of my questions regarding my identity. “I’ll tell you everything in due course” was his response each time I asked him a question.

After what felt like ages of solving math problems, the man finally said, “You may stop now.“  Then, he then said that he was going to take me to a place where I would find all the solutions to my questions. I eagerly followed him and as we walked down that sorrowful corridor again I spotted a large door at its end. The man instructed me to go through the door and I did as he said.

I opened the door and when I went inside I spotted a chair with mechanical arms above it equipped with various tools like scalpels drills and  syringes.  Suddenly it all came back to me - all my memories and my identity… everything came rushing back to me. I remembered that I was trapped in a facility where the cerebrospinal fluid of children with high aptitude was being harvested … I remembered that my brain fluids had been harvested again and again and that the memory loss was a side effect of the harvesting.

 I frantically tried to go back through the door I had entered but it was of  no use as it had been locked. I saw people wearing blue jumpsuits approaching me, I tried to run but it was of no use... They restrained me and turned a deaf ear to all my pleading and crying .They fastened me to the chair and covered my mouth with a piece of cloth. I tried to utter the words, “Please don’t do this” but it was of no use. The last words I heard before a syringe filled with anesthesia was injected in my hand were, “Goodnight little princess”. I then felt the prick of the syringe and then the world went black.

Epilogue: I woke up to find myself in a room with grey walls on all four sides,the room seemed to have no exit whatsoever... It was very poorly equipped ,with just a bed, a mirror and a lavatory. I got up from the extremely uncomfortable bed and headed towards the mirror. The mirror reflected back an image of a girl who looked malnourished and had no hair on her head, just a scalp that was filled with scars. The eyes of this girl looked dull. “Is this me?” I thought to myself and ran my hand across my scalp. The scars hurt very badly and I found myself asking questions like “Who am I? What is my name?  Why am I in this place?”…………………………………………….
- Adithya Athreya
Rotaract Club of NM College
                                     

                             
The clue to the next article is :

I'm offered to the loved, and also to the dead. I come in many varied hues, most notably red. I’m beautiful to look at, but painful to touch. What am I?

Let's see how smart-witted you are to  answer this riddle and thus, guess the theme of the next article... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?

The Mentalist

Nasty Battles #9 - Last benchers Vs first benchers