Touch of Mankind

Passage 7 : An outsider's view 


I hail from a very small town in Gujarat. One of my initial experiences in Mumbai involved a local train ride from Borivali to Churchgate station. I had never seen such a huge crowd before and was actually scared that I might die either of claustrophobia or a stampede on the station. I was alone, and definitely scared of being in such a place. I had also heard many instances of bag snatchers and women harassment, which added further to my fear. But surprisingly, when I interacted with people to ask them for help regarding the platform number, the correct train, etc. I was actually met by very polite and helpful strangers, who were even more civil in their manners than the people in my hometown. It was peak rush hour when I boarded the train, and women all around me pushed and pulled from all sides to get inside the compartment. Although I retained my initial fear of death by suffocation, I was pretty amazed to see how all these people stuffed themselves and still somehow adjusted to travel together. The limited place in itself is a miniature version of a “Mela” or a fair, with people from all walks of life. The brief interactions that I had with women sitting next to me at different points of time in the hour long journey, revealed such wonderful stories. I got to know a Fisherwoman who travels daily to and fro Santacruz and Koliwada in order to sell her fish and make a livelihood for her family of six, so that her son could pursue his higher education. I came across a school teacher, who travels six days a week from Virar at 5.30 in the morning to reach Bandra in time for school. I met a mother, who manages to have a 9 to 5 job in spite of having a two year old daughter and no family support. All these amazing women, in their own are actually "everyday heroes". They are the ones that need to be celebrated, and have their stories told. They are all inspirations that make you want to carry on with a smile on your face. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?

The Mentalist

Nasty Battles #9 - Last benchers Vs first benchers