Perspective

Mumbai, the city of dreams.


Shifting to a new city is always a humongous task. It becomes even more difficult when you come to a city which is bigger than your hometown. Well, not for me. I have lived all my life in Ahmedabad. The calm, peaceful and slow moving city. So Mumbai was a refreshing change to the laid back outlook. You know you are in Mumbai as soon as you step in the city. The culture makes its presence felt.



When I stepped into an Auto Rickshaw, I was treated to a peculiarity which only a Mumbai Rickshaw-wala can have. I was given a 'Free of cost' visual tour of all the celebrity bunglows. He'd say "Saab woh na Mannat hai, apne woh Shah Rukh ka bunglaa "  or "Woh Jalsa hai, Amitabh Bacchan Saab hai na, unka ghar ". He also went out of the way to show me Sachin Tendulkar's Bunglow!

I knew Mumbai was famous for its rains. I happened to arrive in Mumbai just in time for the rains. Initially it was fun, the cool breeze and the fun of getting wet. Coming from Ahmedabad where it rains just for two hours a day, I slowly started getting annoyed of the never ending rains. As days passed by, the annoyance turned into hatred. They spoilt all my plans for outings. They spoilt my clothes when I had to travel. I never used an umbrella in Ahmedabad. I had to 'learn' how to use an umbrella, here in Mumbai!


            





Did I mention the fast life? Oh people are constantly on the run. I love this feeling. But in Mumbai, it's seriously better to run, literally Run ! The traffic can make you go crazy! I can go to Juhu from Vile Parle faster on my feet than in a Rickshaw!


We are talking about Mumbai, so how can I not talk about the most sought after delicacy of Mumbai? Vadapav! Oh it's a dish meant for Mumbai. Ready in a few seconds and eatable on the way. From the über rich to the not so fortunate, everybody gulps down the vadapav.

All I can say is, it's been a life changing experience for me. I wish to learn as much as possible from the city. 


In the end, I have just learnt a little bit of Marathi, but from my perspective, Mumbai, Mala tu khup Aavadte! 

- Rtr Aakash Rathi


To read the next segment to perspective, 'Freedom', click here- http://goo.gl/PR5kqy


When in Bombay! :  'Town'
Your lessons in Mumbai's Terminology

'Let's go to the town'. 
'Town theatres are so good'. 
'Town ki public bohot sahi hai'. 
'The pubs in town are the hip thing buddy'.

One will come across this reference to 'town' many a times in Mumbai. But to any outsider, it doesn't make any sense. Isn't town a smaller city? Mumbai isn't small at all ! So why town?

The answer is, in 'Bombay lingo', 'town' refers to the part of the city beyond Bandra. It begins from Worli and goes right upto Colaba. It's also the area where only Taxis are allowed. 

So next time you go to town, don't embarrass yourself by searching a Rickshaw!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?

The Mentalist

Nasty Battles #9 - Last benchers Vs first benchers