Friendship Bands

Friendship Bands



Dear four-legged friend,
    I cannot thank the moment enough when I spotted you struggling to get out of that pothole and I was there to help you get out. Ever since then, you have helped me get out of all the potholes, deep and shallow, in my life.
    Unlike humans, you don't judge me when I am ranting or dancing or yelling or crying or laughing or behaving in the most immature way I possibly can. One lick from you is all I need to get over my day, be it a rough one or a great one. I love how you melt me by simply staring at me with your liquid eyes even when I'm mad at you. Also, the little things you do to cheer me up may not always make me that happy but they surely do put a wide smile on my face.
    You're my diary, my best friend and my family that I will continue to love, no matter what. Thank you for making me the centre of your world and scaring away all the problems in the world (quite literally). Simple words could never express how much you mean to me but thank you for being there for me.
Your hooman,
Rtr. Jhil Mehta
PS: I haven't forgotten about that vase that you broke today. I am still mad at you (or at least trying to be).


Dear best friend,
Remember the time when I borrowed your book promising to return it in two weeks? Or the time when I ate half of your donut? You don’t? Well, that’s because I never returned the book and I ate the entire donut. After all, that’s what best friends are supposed to do.
I still remember the fateful day that we crossed paths. Back then, I didn’t know that you would become such an important part of my life. But here we are now. So, here is a letter which will hopefully give you an idea of how much you mean to me.
Let’s start with the important things. Thank you for all the free food you’ve treated me to all these years. And also for ignoring all the weird things that I seem to do. For all the times you called me cute when in fact, I looked quite horrible.
But, if I think about it, there have been so many times you got on my nerves. For instance, the time when you dragged me to a party that you wanted to attend. That was the single most awkward evening of my short existence. And let us not forget about all the times you made me wait for you. These are just two of the many things you do to annoy me.
I realise I may have gotten a bit derailed from the topic there. This letter is supposed to be about thanking you, after all. Getting back, I thank you for sticking with me all this time. Thank you for being there for me, when I thought the whole world was against me. Thank you for never side-tracking my anxiety. Most importantly, thank you for being my no.1. I know I’ve not made it an easy task, but hey I’ve still got your book, so, you’re stuck with me buddy.
Your only friend,
Rtr. Janhavi Shah.
P.S. If you annoy me too much, I will trade you for food.



Dear Mom,
I wanted to thank you. I could think of no better way than through this letter. Thank you! Thank you! For you were my first friend.
You taught me how to walk, how to eat and a million other things. Sometimes I was angry at you. Sometimes I was annoyed at you. There were times when I hurt you, because I thought the things you did and the things you said were against me. I didn’t know you only wanted me to be happy. For who else would know me, better than you?
You left your job, your dream job, to take care of me. You left your hobbies, to make sure I had a fruitful life. You sacrificed so much, yet I couldn’t do anything for you. It hurts me, when I realize it’s easier for me to tell my best friends that I love them, than telling you that ’I love you.’
Laughing with you, talking with you, playing with you and helping you while you were working; sometimes gave me more pleasure than going out with my other friends.
Despite all this, I accept with guilt and regret that nowadays, I spend more time with my friends than with you. I remember the times when I used to complain about the food you make, calling it bland and tasteless. But I was a fool. I thought outside food and fast food tasted better than your food. It only took two days of fast food to make me realize how good you were. Your curd rice, about which I still complain, is the best meal in the entire world.
There have been times when I have been selfish. After coming back home late, I expected you to serve food for me as I was tired. But I could never see that you too were tired, tired from doing the daily chores. We both needed rest desperately, but I got it first. Always. Your love towards me is unparalleled, selfless and pure.
Just before I joined school, I hid behind your skirt, shy and scared of others. Today, I am entirely different. I spend hours chatting with my friends, but can’t make time for you.
For all this, and much more, I am sorry.
Instead of feeling grateful only on one day of the year, I feel Mother’s day must be celebrated every day. Because I am eternally indebted to you. For all this and much more that I couldn’t mention, I thank you.
Love,
An ordinary son of an extraordinary woman.
-Rtr. Daksshin Gopal

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?

The Mentalist

Nasty Battles #9 - Last benchers Vs first benchers