The Nomophobe!

Fingers tapping constantly on the key pad, eyes on the message being typed and also looking around to take note of this world, a demented smile on our faces while reading a message, deafening music playing in our ears; it is how we roll now, with our senses under THE phone’s control!

Can we imagine a day (or even a few hours) without our phones? If only, (God forbid :P) you wake up in the morning and don’t find the phone next to you or worse your phone ‘dead’ (metaphorically, they don’t actually live, you know?) most of us will have an heart attack.


Like I did the other day….

My misfortune - I forgot my phone charger in office! (It does sound a very petty thing, but only those who have passed through such trauma can understand!) First reflex, I check the battery, it shows 5%. I skip a beat. You don’t have an IPhone charger; you don’t have an IPhone charger! Panicking, I try to search for an alternative charger, but all in vain. Finally the countdown ends, NOT to my delight. The phone is SWITCHED OFF and so are my brains. I had NO contacts. It is said prior to mobiles ruling our world; a normal human being could remember 40 phone numbers on an average, now he remembers barely 3 – 4. I couldn’t have felt more helpless or desperate. What about my important (ha ha!) messages, calls, status updates, picture uploads and schedule now? Disappointed and upset, I dragged myself to bed and went to sleep.

Still, it haunts me. And I realize I suffer from the very famous fear related to mobile phones. I fear my phone getting lost, my phone getting switched off, having no network coverage. This fear is popularly known as Nomophobia. An article in Bombay Times (dated 17/9/12) talks about Ringxiety. You often ‘hear’ your mobile ringing or feel it vibrating, only to discover it was a false alarm. This is phantom ringing syndrome. (*I sent him a message at 9.He is still online. Why hasn’t he replied to me as yet?!*You keep checking.)

And to worsen my plight, I have to go to my office, on a Saturday, JUST to collect my soul mate‘s (phone’s) charger.

The world is becoming a better place with the technology or is it? :P

One of you all,
Rtr. Nirali Joshi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?

The Mentalist

Nasty Battles #9 - Last benchers Vs first benchers